Saturday, September 12, 2009

I.A.R 101 Project #1




Find two Natural Artifacts and join them using a linear material as a binding agent. My two natural objects were a flower and a heart shaped leaf. My objective was to keep my project as soft and as delicate as possible as flowers tend to be very delicate. As my binding agent I used a linear flat leaf and used the style of weaving (inspired by the print : Plaid), to bind the leaf and the flower together.
I created three different models before coming to my final design. The first model consisted of the white flower in the middle of the leaf, as the focus point, and a simple binding design created by the linear leaf.
My second model had the same idea of: the flower as the focal point, but I decided to create an actual weave that wove through the flower. It almost reminded me of a plaid print.
For the third model I kept the idea of the "plaid" design but I cute the linear leaves in half to make them thiner. As well as I changed the position of the flower from the center, to the top left hand corner of the leaf. And instead of weaving the bonding agent through the flower I created a cage like constricting box around it.
Finally after the 3rd critique session I was given several feed back and ideas. So for my final model I had changed the color of the flower to a more contrasting color that would give my project some "pop." I felt that red was too much of a contrasting color from green so I chose a very deep orange instead.

After this whole experience I feel very pleased with the outcome of my project. I figured out that the art of weaving, especially on a leaf, is not an easy one but I am happy that I have accomplished the delicate look I intended for my project in the end


No comments:

Post a Comment